Marriage Intentions

Marriage Intentions Form


Due to the time required by State licensing requirements, please allow up to 30 minutes for this process.

Important information while the Town Hall is closed:

If a municipal office is closed to the public, marriage licenses may be issued via mail upon receipt of Notarized Intentions, the $40.00 fee and documentation how the last marriage ended. The marriage license will be returned to the parties by mail. Signatures can be obtained by the person performing the marriage when the marriage is performed.  If there are no municipal clerk or staff at the office, the intentions may be filed at a neighboring town or directly with DRVS.
Customers requesting vital records should be encouraged to mail in the written request, copy of their photo identification and payment.

                                    Maine Department of Health and Human Services
                                    Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention
                                    11 State House Station
                                    220 Capitol Street
                                     Augusta, ME 04333-0011
                                    207-287-5500 Toll Free: 888-664-9491

To make the process go smoothly, be prepared with:

  • Picture ID: Driver's License / State ID Card, or Passport.
  • Court Certified Divorce Decree: Most recent divorce for each applicant with raised seal, observing 21 day wait period or provide certified court waiver.
  • Proof of Residency: Street address (if not on driver's license) or document showing Physical Street Address.
  • Form Requires: Names of both applicants' parents (first, middle, mother's maiden & last)of all parties, as well as parents' state/province and country of birth.
  • Must be Present: Both applicants must appear and sign in the presence of the Municipal Clerk (exceptions are incarceration / imminent death).
  • Social Security Numbers: Are required on the form
  • Must be at least 18 years of age: If under 18 please inquire about requirements for parental consent/ Judge of Probate.

 Where do I obtain a marriage license?

  • If both of you are residents of the state of Maine, you should both apply at the town office where at least one of you is a resident. If you are residents of different Maine towns, you both may apply in one town or the other - but not both.
  • If one is from out of state, then both of you should apply in the town where one holds residency.
  • If neither of you is a resident of Maine, then you may apply in any Maine town office. It need not be the same town where you plan to be married, but may be advisable to help you at a later date to remember where to get a copy of your license.
  • Marriage licenses are issued at the town or city level. Both the bride and groom must visit the town office in person to apply for the marriage license. You may want to check for directions to the Town Hall.
  • When applying for your license, you must first complete an Intentions of Marriage Form. This document will be used by the Clerk to complete your marriage license.
  • It should be downloaded from this website and completed in advance to save time in the Clerk's      marriage_certificatee office. Please fill in all information and double check for correctness to avoid extra time in the Clerk's Office and/or waiting for amendments to be filed. The Intentions of Marriage Form must be signed in the presence of the Clerk so please do not sign it ahead of time.
  • Please expect to spend approximately up to 30 minutes for the issuance of your license.
  • Download your Intention of Marriage Form at the top of this page (Link in Blue letters).
  • If you require additional information, please contact the Town Clerk's Office at 207-324-5872 Ext. 204 Or Email:

 How Long is my License Valid?

Your marriage license is valid for 90 days and can only be used within the State of Maine.  There is no longer a Waiting Period from the time your marriage license is issued until your wedding can take place. The person performing the ceremony is responsible for  completing the remainder of the marriage license and filing the marriage certificate with the town office that issued the marriage license.


There is a $40.00 fee for a marriage license. After the officiant files your marriage license, you will probably wish to purchase a Certificate of Marriage. The Certificate of Marriage is needed for name changes on a driver's license, passport, bank account, social security account, etc.

There is an additional charge of $15.00 ($6.00 for each additional copy purchased at the same time) for this certificate.                                                                                                                                    

Please note that the Municipal clerk does not automatically mail the certificate to you.

Who may officiate at the marriage?      

         The following individuals are authorized to perform marriages in Maine:

     •  Ordained ministers of the gospel  • A person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary  (Minister, Priest, Rabbi, etc.)             

     •  Judges or justices (residents of Maine only)  • Lawyers admitted to the Maine Bar (residents of Maine only)  • Maine Notaries